Monday, November 11, 2013

Chakki Tales-3 Glass of Toddy

It was fascinating early morning watching the man, climbing the huge palm tree precariously.He emptied the pot at the top of the tree into a big sachet tied around his waist.The sachet was made from the base of the palmyra  frond.I waited till he descended down .I was curious and longingly looked at the sachet to know what it was in it.

As if a wish answered, he plucked a nearby jack fruit tree leaf shaped it into a cup and gave some of the sweet liquid.

Wow! it tasted so sweet and nice,pure unadulterated plant sap.He looked at me smiled and said ,Shankaran chayande mol aa allae?(You are shankaran brother's daughter?). I nodded in agreement. How long are you all there?I replied 2-3 days.He went on his way to the neighbor's property to finish his morning rounds.He least expected me there the next day with a big glass in hand.

Next day I got up early and went to the kitchen stealthily picked the biggest steel glass available because in those days the kuppi glass was in vogue.I stood near the verandah and calculated the approximate time for climbing and coming down the tree to make my entry on time.He was surprised when I went with the glass.

"So you like the taste of it eh?, your father will scold me"he said. "Don't worry I will not tell him,we are going in the evening so no one will know.One last time, it will be okay ."

No more question and answers, he filled my glass , winked at me and said,"You must study well when you go back to your city and become a big officer like your father okay.He is the first person from our village who has gone outside to study and work.Otherwise, like me you will have to get up in the mornings and climb trees up and down".I nodded in unison .

He went away.

I went and sat on the branch of the old kappi tree enjoying sipping the sweet liquid.By the time I finished Chakkiammachi caught me red handed and hurled a string of abuses at the toddy tapper for giving me toddy.

I hugged her and said once in a way only know, I am going away today and I don't like you being angry. She hugged me with all her strength and wiped her tears away flashing her toothless grin once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment